The Cartagena tourist area faced foul odors coming from the public manholes of the urban sewerage wastewater, with a health concern especially in the rainy season when the manholes overflowed.
The project concentrated on three geographic areas, served by one pumping station - with a pumping volume of about 5400 m³/day (6500 m³/day during the busy tourist season).
The overall length of the sewage system was 21 km, and the total retention time was 2.5 hours (approximate time the probiotic products had to impact the water quality).
• To control odors in the sewage system and pumping stations in three targeted areas;
• To reduce the levels of TSS, COD and BOD;
¦ To reduce Total Coliforms and Fecal Coliforms, improving outflow water quality
Table 1: Environmental Regulation Standards & Baseline Data
SCD Probiotics used were a mixed culture of beneficial microorganisms without genetic manipultion, present in natural ecosystems, physiologically compatiable with each other; when they come in contact with organic matter, they acceleerate the process of decomposition, without allowing putrefacation.
SCD Probiotics in liquid form were applied directly to the manholes of each targeted sector following a strict plan and methodology. In addition, SCD Bokashi Balls (solid microbial concentrate) were dropped in the manholes also according to a strict plan throughout the trial period.
Samples were taken in the three pumping stations every week during 3 months, and lab results were systematically recorded and analyzed to make adjustments on the application plan if necessary.
All samples were taken and analyzed by the personnel of Acuacar/EPA and counter samples were analyzed by a private laboratory. The final results, agreed between the parties, are from the EBAR (pumping station) at a single site (Bocagrande).
Significant results (Table II) were demonstrated and all goals of the project were achieved.
- Total Suspended Solids (TSS) was reduced 68%
- Biological Oxygen Demand (BOD) was reduced by 66%
- Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD) was reducted by 25%
- Oils & Grease were reduced by 8%
- The presence of foul odors in the interior and outside of the manholes showed remarkable reduction
- The bacterial load aslo showed significant reductions: Total Coliforms by 91% and Fecal Coliforms by approximately 76% respectively
Tables III and IV provide additonal data from the trial period. More information is available by contacting customerservice@SCDProbiotics.com
Goals of project achieved
Sample Results at Bocagrande, including May 8 baseline data
Odor Control Sample Data From All Three Test Sites
GAS ANALYSIS IN ACUACAR-CARTAGENA, COLOMBIA